HOW TO SPOT: FAKE GUCCI MARMONT AND PEYTON LOAFERS

Hung sakit sakit guyssss...
(This was and still is sooooo painful).


gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
fake vs real gucci marmont loafers
I fell hard for the Peyton's last year but found them a bit too expensive so I didn't buy them. But I kept losing sleep over them so I decided to just f@%# it and finally get a pair. When I got to the boutique in Shangrila, they didn't have them anymore and neither did Greenbelt.

Out of frustration, I ended up buying a pair of green Gucci Marmont mid-heel loafers instead. Despite them being an impulsive purchase, I've no regrets.

They are super comfy (I walked around Central, Hong Kong in them all day...they're that comfortable.) and I really adore its quirky but classic style:

A photo posted by Sarah Tirona (@sarahtirona) on


Still, I couldn't get the Peyton's out of my mind...my first love. (LOL, rolling eyes)

SADLY, I couldn't find my size even in Hong Kong :(

So I did what any other shoe obsessed person would do...scour the web.

I did this for days until I finally found a gently used pair on eBay in my size!

SELLER ID IS jingl_fen (BEWARE!!!)

(What luck! I thought at the time.) I didn't think twice this time, I clicked the Buy It Now button and immediately settled payment via Paypal (I wanted them to arrive in time for Christmas or New Year's).

The post office EMS notice arrived around December 23 or 24 I think but I had to wait 'til the 27th to claim it cause of the holiday schedule.

27 came and I spent half a day at the Pasay post office waiting for my number to be called.

Paid my tax which came out to be close to Php 6,000.00 only to open the box and find out that what I got was a FAKE PAIR OF GUCCI PEYTON LOAFERS.
The pain the pain the pain!

It still hurts but I hate putting money to waste so I decided to write this post to begin my healing process (again, LOL :( )

For your reference...

HOW TO SPOT A FAKE PAIR OF GUCCI MARMONT AND PEYTON LOAFERS

Mind you, this is a really really good fake. If I didn't have an original to compare it with, I might have bought into the scam and not have noticed that what I got was actually not authentic.

Okay, first the box.

The yellowish one on the left is fake, the one on the right is real. The real one is whiter and when you touch it, it has a slightly corrugated surface. Thickness might fool you cause both come with quite a substantial weight to them.

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
how to spot fake gucci marmont loafers

Second, the box barcode and label: 

The real one wasn't stuck to the the box, instead it was stuck to a flap of paper attached to the box. I'm not sure if this is the case with all pairs since my old pair of loafers had the barcode sticker attached directly to the box.

Just remember this: print should be crystal clear and not faded at all. Also check for proper english (omg)

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
how to spot fake gucci peyton loafers

DUSTBAG

The real pair comes with 2 dust bags, one for each shoe, fabric is high quality with perfect stitching along patch border, it's also not wrinkled and the color is slightly different to the fake one on the left.

The stitching on fake is haphazard and my Peyton came with only one dustbag. You'll also notice that the material is cheap to the touch unlike the original one which has a satin-y feel. The fake feels more like polyester.

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
fake vs real gucci dustbag

Dustbag Ribbons

Fake comes with corrugated edges, real is just ribbed.

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
fake vs real gucci dustbag
Below are my authentic Marmont Loafers:

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
green gucci marmont loafers
And my fake (ouch) Peyton Loafers:

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
spot a fake gucci peyton loafers

The only thing off about these are the color and thickness of the hardware + the sole. The real one has a bit of golder shade, less antique-y (although not as gold as the Marmont but they share the same sort of "wholeness") The hardware on the fake pair has a bit of a different shape.


gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
fake vs real gucci peyton loafers
The bottom of my real pair:

gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
gucci marmont loafers review
The fake pair has the same gold insignia but its facing the opposite direction. Also, size and made in Italy stamp is located below the gold bar instead of above.

Other than that, nothing. Once you slip them on they feel the same as the real pair. They're just as comfy and the leather feels just as soft and supple as the real pair of Peyton's I tried on at the store.


gucci peyton and marmont unboxing
fake gucci peyton loafers
It just hurts so much cause they are not what I paid for and now I don't know what to do with them!

I hate putting good money to waste so do I just wear them even if they're fake? I still paid around $500-600 for these so I feel bad throwing them out.

HELP!

More details on my story plus how to spot a fake, shoes when worn, etc in the video below:



I already reported the issue to eBay.com but they have been virtually useless. Also filed a dispute which I have already escalated to a claim on Paypal but I have yet to hear back from them.

Please please help me decide what to do with these shoes. Thank you! And please, don't make the same mistake I did, these people are cunning.

The pair I got was listed from Australia but my package came from China! I think this is a big group of professional scammers around the world trying to earn a fast buck from unsuspecting online shoppers like me.

Comments

Janet said…
Bes, di halata. Wear mo parin. Carry mo pa din naman eh. Mukhang real if ikaw may suot. Sa totoo lang, sobrang ganda ng fake na yan. Not a thing off. Gora.
Hassle!!!

I can wear unbranded stuff but not fake (!!!)

Paypal should be able to assist you on this - they should not have released the payment to the seller yet. Crossing fingers and toes for that!
May De Jesus-Palacpac said…
that sucks. i don't remember the last time i bought branded stuff but yeah, generic, unbranded ones are fine, but fake ones, no. but since you paid for them that much, that's where the conflict is because you would want value for your money which I don't think you're going to get. I'm sorry. You can sell them for very low cost?
sarah tirona said…
huhuhuhu, so painful on my heart and wallet :(
sarah tirona said…
thanks tita! naka ilan email na ako. still waiting for reply.
sarah tirona said…
hahahaha, thanks for this, made me smile. super tempted pero super conflicted. haaaaayyy.
May De Jesus-Palacpac said…
Think of it this way. That video of yours on how to spot the fake just might go viral and earn you some. ;) I'm no fashionista but I watched it.
sarah tirona said…
hahahaha, best case scenario! LOL
Mercy said…
I so love these shoes, I still have to get a peyton but maybe I'll score it from Reebonz. I'm sad that it's listed in Australia, I got duped too in ebay and paypal didn't want to do anything about it. I reported the seller name in Ebay but because I was the only one who reported about this seller they don't believe me even if I gave them an authentication certificate to prove that it's fake. There's nothing you can do with the fake shoes unless you can return and get your money back. But I'm enjoying your post and you made a video out of it plus of course the lesson learned. Happy to see your blog btw. Keep making great posts ;-)

www.busyandfab.com
sarah tirona said…
thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment, so sad to hear about your experience with ebay, this is probably the last time im buying anything from them. hope you get refunded too, i just got my money back recently :)
Ai-Ch'ng GB said…
Hi Sarah, did you ever get your money back for your unfortunate fake Gucci purchase from PayPal/eBay? I've also just received a very good, well-photographed, fake pair from eBay (Australia based, but Chinese seller- not sure if she was duped herself and is on-selling illegally, or she thinks it's real). I bought them thinking they were real Gucci, and even asked the seller why she didn't exchange them in store. Seller replied that she bought these red Jordaans in-store (she hasn't said where) in Sept last year and the exchange period ran out this Jan, when she says she discovered the shoes were too small for her mother (she says she bought them for her mother's January 2017 birthday). On this pricey eBay (AUD$480 excluding postage) pair, the heel markings are faint and mismatched; the single - not twin -white dust bag has bad black stitching on the Gucci label (dust bag ribbon is identical to original dust bags I own from three other pairs of Gucci Jordaans I bought from Gucci Perth and Gucci Singapore); this eBay pair has stiffer leather, the sizing feels too short and tight (my three other pairs fit me identically), the leather is much stiffer and harder; the serial number in the left shoe of this eBay pair is completely misaligned (but the eBay pair's serial numbers match the originalšŸ˜³), and the eBay pair's serial number's font is slightly different (the original font slants very slightly; the eBay pair's font is upright and boxy); the eBay pair's box is shorter by 1cm than the originals' boxes (Gucci uses the same size of box for all their Jordaans, regardless of size); but the eBay pair's box is also white, and corrugated correctly (maybe the tiniest bit less so, but this could be claimed by the seller as being an original manufacturing issue). The eBay pair's box is also the same thickness as the originals' boxes. These fakes are almost horrendously accurate, but the badly misplaced serial number (all original Jordaans have their serial numbers stamped exactly the same way, the same distance from the top edge of the inner uppermost edge seam; this eBay pair's left shoe has its serial number right up and slightly crooked against the uppermost edge's stitching). The internal lining of the eBay pair is also a single padded piece from heel to toe, whereas the three pairs of original Jordaans I store-bought, have a separate lining for the heel up to the arch, with the exposed white/beige thick stitching all around the ball and toe edges on the inside. The smell from the box is also strongly chemical, as opposed to the characteristic leather scent, but again, that's something the seller could argue against. It's the wonky serial number misalignment and wrong lining without the exposed stitching inside at the ball of the foot that I hope will convince eBay to side with me. I'm so disappointed, but as eBay's Counterfeit Goods Policy states it's illegal to sell and receive counterfeit, I'm hoping you've been refunded, as that's the same outcome I hope for myself. Such an unpleasant experience that this has really put me off eBay for what I thought are lightly pre-used, high-end luxury items that seem real due to good photography and very high reselling eBay prices.
Ai-Ch'ng GB said…
Hi Sarah and Mercy, I've also just received a very good, well-photographed, fake pair of red leather (may be pleather, so hard to tell with these) Gucci Jordaans purchased from eBay (Australia-based, but Chinese, seller: not sure if she was duped herself, discovered these are fake and is now on-selling illegally, or she thinks it's real). I bought them also thinking they were real Gucci, and even asked the seller why she didn't exchange them in store. Seller replied that she bought these red Jordaans in-store (she hasn't said where) in Sept last year and the exchange period ran out this Jan, when she says she discovered the shoes were too small for her mother (she says she bought them for her mother's January 2017 birthday). On this pricey eBay (AUD$480 excluding postage) pair, the heel markings are faint and mismatched; the single - not twin -white dust bag has bad black stitching on the Gucci label (dust bag ribbon is identical to original dust bags I own from three other pairs of Gucci Jordaans I bought from Gucci Perth and Gucci Singapore); this eBay pair has stiffer leather, the sizing feels too short and tight (my three other pairs fit me identically), the leather is much stiffer and harder; the serial number in the left shoe of this eBay pair is completely misaligned (but the eBay pair's serial numbers match the originalšŸ˜³), and the eBay pair's serial number's font is slightly different (the original font slants very slightly; the eBay pair's font is upright and boxy); the eBay pair's box is shorter by 1cm than the originals' boxes (Gucci uses the same size of box for all their Jordaans, regardless of size); but the eBay pair's box is also white, and corrugated correctly (maybe the tiniest bit less so, but this could be claimed by the seller as being an original manufacturing issue). The eBay pair's box is also the same thickness as the originals' boxes. These fakes are almost horrendously accurate, but the badly misplaced serial number (all original Jordaans have their serial numbers stamped exactly the same way, the same distance from the top edge of the inner uppermost edge seam; this eBay pair's left shoe has its serial number right up and slightly crooked against the uppermost edge's stitching). The internal lining of the eBay pair is also a single padded piece from heel to toe, whereas the three pairs of original Jordaans I store-bought, have a separate lining for the heel up to the arch, with the exposed white/beige thick stitching all around the ball and toe edges on the inside. The smell from the box is also strongly chemical, as opposed to the characteristic leather scent, but again, that's something the seller could argue against. It's the wonky serial number misalignment and wrong lining without the exposed stitching inside at the ball of the foot that I hope will convince eBay to side with me. I'm so disappointed, but as eBay's Counterfeit Goods Policy states it's illegal to sell and receive counterfeit, I'm glad you've been refunded Sarah, and I hope mercy's persevered and been fully refunded, as that's the same outcome I hope for myself. Such an unpleasant experience that this has really put me off eBay for what I thought are lightly pre-used, high-end, luxury items that seem real due to good photography and very high reselling eBay prices.
sarah tirona said…
Hi Ai! I can't seem to find your comment anymore? Did you delete it? :)
sarah tirona said…
Hello Ai, let me just say that I really do feel your pain having come from the same situation as well. I was so heartbroken when this happened to me, couldn't believe how "evil" and cunning some people can be. To cheat us off our hard earned money just to make a quick buck. Maybe I am too naive :( Anyway, it has put me off ebay as well. With regards to the refund, I paid with Paypal so I was covered by their buyer protection. I raised my issue w paypal and ebay, paypal was much more helpful. They responded within a few days of my email and my dispute was settled in about a week. I received a reply from ebay only after i got refunded by paypal. I was able to get the full amount I spent on the shoes refunded but not the duties and taxes I paid at customs which amounted to about $150. It kinda sucks but it's better than nothing and I didn't feel like dragging it on any longer than I should. It's just sad really and I sincerely hope you get your money back. Let's just leave the rest to karma :((
sarah tirona said…
found it, it was in my spam folder. sorry :)
Ai-Ch'ng GB said…
Super-glad to hear your payment was almost all-refunded, Sara! Thank you also for letting me know that PayPal was more helpful than eBay for you. I'm going down both routes simultaneously, to keep both myself and the seller covered. I am hoping she/he sold them on eBay as a genuine mistake, as they've been quick to apologise and say they'll pay for the return postage of the item (although the Aussie Post package says we cannot post dangerous, or illegal items, and so I'd always thought it is illegal to knowingly use a federal postal service to carry counterfeit, it seems that eBay now allows this: the seller has also said (via eBay messages) that they will bear the cost of the return, thereby making this return postage their responsibility. I hope they carry through on all counts - I'd prefer to leave a better-than-disappointed review for them.
Ai-Ch'ng GB said…
That’s OK! Glad you found it :-) Even more glad you received your refund!
Ai-Ch'ng GB said…
Hi Sarah,
Good news: I decided to bypass eBay completely and try to work it out directly with the seller. After six eBay messages containing about ten close-up photos of indisputable evidence that the (originally thought to be authentic by me) counterfeit Gucci Jordaan shoes I'd bought off eBay from Yaling Wang of NSW, the seller asked me to ship them back to her. When I replied that it's illegal for me to use a federal postal service to post dangerous and/or illegal goods, she said she'd pay for the rerun postsge, as she said they're good shoes, wouldn't on-sell them, and wanted to see if she or one of her relatives could fit into them. Hmm... I replied that if she wanted them back, the only way was for her to pay me first for the return postage, and to refund me the full amount of the shoes plus my original postage cost to shop the item from NSW (Wollstonecraft, in case anyone here ever needs to know). I think she realised it was more civil to do it this way, rather than my going through eBay, or my going through PayPal requesting a refund from her through their refund system. Fortunately for her, she paid all the monies due to me within forty eight hours. So, I'm posting the counterfeit shoes that are now technically no longer mine, using a federal postage service that she's now paid for. The seller and I worked this out bwteen us, by my issuing her a request for money to be paid - not to be refunded - to me. However, in the note that PayPal asks us to attach for requests for funds from others, I stated clearly that this was for a refund for counterfeit shoes unknowingly bought by me, and that within 48 hours of receievng her payment, I would post back these counterfeit shoes to her.

I'm not sure if this is a standard way of dealing with counterfeit sellers - to issue them a direct invoice to return the full amount (rather than requesting a refund via eBay or PayPal) after providing a stream of photos and detailed, typed evidence that the item is indeed counterfeit. However, this is one instance when I was either very lucky (and happen to have three other pairs of the same
shoe in different colours to compare the counterfeit one to) the seller has knowingly sold me counterfeit goods, and on my discovering and listing everything wrong with the item with photos, then chose to be reasonable and work so fast to refund me; or whether the seller genuinely didn't realise it was counterfeit (again, hmmm...) and just wanted to have the whole ugly affair done with.

The seller messaged me about four times after that, asking me if her payment that was currently being withheld by eBay, would be refunded to me- so that I would get her refund, plus a refund from eBay. This made me wonder if she really is clueless. I replied that since I've got her refund in my account now, and haven't gone through eBay or PayPal'a Request a Refund/Request to Return An Item system, but rather, through PayPal's Request Funds From Friends system, any further emails asking her to make another refund to me are fake emails. After googling why eBay has withheld my payment from her for 21 days, I saw she only has one piece of feedback and one item sold. That should have told me everything. So, I've been very lucky this time. I won't make the same mistake again. In-store purchases at authentic stores for me for everything from now on, for everything - regardless of price-point, budget socks, or high-end shoes.
George @ 20 something lawyer said…
Go ahead, wear them they're still beautiful shoes! this is the reason why I always shop offline for luxury goods.