THE MILLENIAL ME


When I popped into a Uniqlo event in this outfit, the first thing one of my friends said was "lakas maka millennial!" 

That of course sent me over the moon and up on cloud 9.

Yes, that deserved 2 idioms, especially when you're 36 like me.

sarah tirona


I was born in 1979 so depending on which definition you go with, I could still be considered one for some...that last gen-xer who managed to jump and catch a loose millennial thread. (hehe...)

Moving on...

I purchased this entire outfit in Kuala Lumpur while I was there to promote tourism during the Malaysia Shopping Hunt.

Oh my god, can I just say that KL is like THE BEST SHOPPING DESTINATION in SouthEast Asia!

I always considered, Hong Kong as the go-to for shopping but after this trip, hell no.

I was there with Lissa Kahayon for about a week. It was work so I wasn't planning on spending much money but hey ho, with the official Malaysia Tourism people and the best tour guide I've ever encountered (ask me for his contact info, if you need one) showing us the best places to shop everyday for a week, our wallets and credit cards were fighting a lost war.

Lissa is the best (or worst) shopping partner ever. Depends on what you need. What I'm saying is that she is very encouraging. Hahaha, much like me.

Add those 2 elements and BOOM!

DSCF3946 copy

But you know, despite the drought in my wallet. I've no regrets. I love every single thing I bought and also....EVERYTHING IN KL is super cheap compared to here and HK. That's at regular retail with no discount. Especially Adidas, for some reason, Adidas there is cheaper by around 2k/shoe.

Add GST + tourist discount + a lower base retail price and you end up with merchandise that is easily 30-40% cheaper.

DSCF3905 copy

This cotton shirt dress was locally made and I purchased it from a small boutique similar to those found in Greenhills.

The boxy, oversized denim jacket and silver backpack is from MONKI - a sister company of H&M and also where most of my money went. I LOVE MONKI!

DSCF3958 copy

I shot this sometime last month I think...nowadays I wouldn't even dream of touching this jacket, but I do miss it. I can't believe how high the temp has managed to go up over the course of a few weeks...phew!

DSCF3938 copy DSCF3942 copysummer denim outfit 

So if you're looking for some serious retail therapy this summer plus a new exotic place to spend it at, KL is my top contender.

Will share a more in depth guide about shopping in Malaysia soon. In the meantime, feel free to message or email me with your travel questions. I'll be happy to help you out.

Comments

Mommy Pehpot said…
so that's how millennial dress up :)

in fairness, you don't look 36 naman.. parang late twenties lang
I love KL too! Went there for some business trips (when I was still working) but never really did the shop-'til-I-drop thing. Love the food and sights! Maybe next time, when my family and I get to visit KL, the Lord willing, I'll heed your advice. 😜
Anne Trogo said…
That powdery blue dress is adorable!

I've never been to KL, but I do love shopping. Maybe I'll get to visit one day.
May De Jesus-Palacpac said…
I love the cotton dress. Thanks for the tip, I'll remember this when we visit Malaysia. My husband is actually going to KL in a few months, maybe I'll send him over some money haha.
momsterteacher said…
Really, KL? Wow, that's a revelation. And Sarah, it seems you've found the fountain of youth. Your style will outkast even the "true" millenials. ;)
Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy said…
KL? Wow, didn't know that. :) Yey to millennial you! What's the secret? :)
Joy said…
Hooray to the millennial you! I love the dress and the shoes too! :)
Ellona said…
First thing I notice is the tan. Ganda! :) And the whole outfit really looks good on you.
Janice Lim said…
Uyy!!! We were born in the same year. But I wouldn't have guessed. You definitely look younger!
Nina Sogue said…
I didn't know KL is a good place to shop. P.S. you don't look your age. Sana ganyan din ako when I turn 36 :P
tgf said…
Your lovely get-up goes well with the silver backpack. Now, I'd love to go to Kuala Lumpur, too! -- Maria Teresa Figuerres
Maria Louisa Mae P. Mercado said…
Wow! We're the same age but you like you're in your mid 20's! Great outfit and not at all surprised at the praise you receive. :)
sarah tirona said…
thank you thank you thank you! :)
sarah tirona said…
hahahaha you should, been itching to go back spend a couple days in kl maybe then the rest in penang :)
sarah tirona said…
thanks dear, just think young :P hahaha
sarah tirona said…
thanks but all in the mind lang yan :) hehe
sarah tirona said…
thanks so much ellona :)
sarah tirona said…
hahaha, the secret is thinking young to feel young = look young? haha and lots of skin cream?!
sarah tirona said…
wow, such a nice compliment naman! thank you so much :)
sarah tirona said…
hahahaa yea you should! adidas is super cheap talaga there :)
sarah tirona said…
thanks anne! super cheap to go to kl, mga 100usd lang airfare roundtrip na, food is affordable and fantastic too!
sarah tirona said…
hahaha sure, msg me anytime :)
sarah tirona said…
YAY, YAHOO, HOORAY. hahaha ,early 20s di na papasa? (joke hahaha, asa!)
Denice Joyce Diaz said…
First, you just look like you are in your 20's! :) I love your get up and I will definitely keep in mind what you have mentioned about KL!
jared's mum said…
I was born the same year, but you look way younger! What is your secret?! Hehe! I love this ensemble, especially the pair of Stan Smith. Now I wonder when I can go to KL to get a pair for a much cheaper price!