top 5 best everyday lipsticks

But first, what makes a lipstick suitable for daily use? Just like clothes and shoes. It needs to be neutral....

But not like beige, black or white. (Haha ☺)

So what is a neutral lipstick? 

For beginners, finding the right shade can be daunting with thousands of colors available at make-up counters.

Picking up the right shade can turn terrifying instead of fun when you don't know where to start.

Before opting for a red/pink/orange shade. You need to get this right and have one of these tubes in your life first!

It'll make getting made up a WHOLE lot easier.

how to choose the perfect shade of lipstick

Answering the question of what a neutral lipstick is:

A neutral lipstick is a shade that matches your natural lip shade. It can either be lighter or darker depending on your preference or skin tone but what's most important is that it compliments your skin tone.

What to look for: Lipstick in a brownish-pinkish shade.


WHY YOU NEED IT?

Unlike reds, pinks, berries and oranges that require a certain mood/season/style of clothes, a pinkish-brownish shade will go with everything because it'll look just like you (without make-up) except somewhat enhanced. If you're a properly balanced individual, it is impossible to tire of one's own lip shade. (hehe ☺)

So having said that and as a blogger who has tried hundreds of different lipsticks, here's my 

TOP 5 BEST EVERYDAY LIPSTICKS FOR EVERY BUDGET:

(in no particular order)


1. Rimmel X Kate Moss Lipstick in No.19 - I love this cause it's cheap (only P350 from Shop London UK via Takatack.com) and has a nice shade and texture. Not too light that it washes me out and it's creamy too. Great dupe for my ultimate fave from NARS (more on that later). 

***The downside: easily comes off and you need to re-apply it quite often. Great, great flattering shade though.

Rimmel x Kate Moss Lipstick in No.19
2. NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vanessa - I LOVE THIS! A bit pricey at P2k+ a tube but I tell you, it's worth every penny! Best texture and coverage ever + a dream to apply. Highly pigmented and long-wearing. Most importantly, it flatters and brightens my face. If you want a good lipstick to wear everyday, get this. There's also about 4/5 shades more from the Audacious lipstick line that are ever so slightly different so you can easily find one that matches you perfectly. Aside from Vanessa, also check out: Barbara, Raquel, Anita, Julie and Brigette.

***The downside: they're always out of stock and pretty difficult to come by. If you're lucky enough to find a shade you love in stock, don't think twice, grab it while you can.

NARS Audacious Lipstick in Vanessa
3. Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Dusty Pink - Perfect for those who prefer a shade leaning more towards the pinks than browns but still understated enough to wear everyday. These Art Sticks by Bobbi Brown have a cult following for good reason. Both a lip liner and lipstick in one, it's very long-wearing and fades beautifully. It's highly pigmented and creamy despite being in crayon form. Fantastic coverage too. Priced fairly for a premium lipstick as well at just P1500/stick.

***can't think of a downside to this one.

Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Dusty Pink
4. Happy Skin StyLIZed Lipstick in Style Icon - A new favorite of mine. It feels and works like a premium lipstick but for less than half the price. At just P599/stick, it's a great option for those on a tighter budget. It has a nice, creamy matte formula and pretty decent staying power. Stays on far longer than the Rimmel and doesn't leave an ugly stain when it fades.

***The downside: a bit light so it might not be as flattering on all skin tones.

Happy Skin Stylized Lipstick in Style Icon
5. Laura Mercier Rouge Nouveau Lipstick in Cafe - This one has a soft spot in my heart heart because it's the first "neutral" lipstick I fell in love with. As you can see in the photo above, I finished the entire tube. I had to apply it with a lip brush for this post because there was hardly any left. (You can read more about the Rouge Nouveau line HERE) This lipstick is moisturizing and feels light as a feather since it's wax-free. Long-wearing ad very affordable for a premium lipstick at just P999/tube.

***no downside for this one either

Laura Mercier Cream Lipstick in Cafe
Aside from these 5, some other brands to try are:
  1. T. Le Clerc - only P795/tube at Rustans Beauty Source, a pretty underrated brand with nice creamy, moisturizing lipsticks
  2. NYX Round Lipsticks - Thalia is a pretty good shade but hard to come by. Affordable but lead content pretty questionable.
  3. Maybelline in Touch Of Spice of Coffee
  4. CHANEL - super super super long wearing!!!
There you go, hope you found this helpful. ☺

Comments

Emem V. said…
This is so timely. I am currently looking for a nice lipstick in nude to pink shade. ^__^ I'm going to consider Rimmel. :)
i always feel washed out with nudes.. it takes a strong push for me to wear them instead of my usual bold reds.. ehheeh but im considering to venture out of my comfort zone.. nice post!
BelleB said…
the rimmel and nars looks like they're dupes on this pic.. cant afford the nars one hehe so ill check out rimmel. been a long long time that i wanted to try the kate line. happy skin as well. i always get sidetracked by more affordable options on the market.. not yoyr alley maybe but have you tried ever bilena matte lipstick in mauvey.. one of my favorites nudes or neutral for me and ohhh so affordable haha.. nyx mattes will be my next ones to try.. ipon first.. great post sarah. thanks sis!
sarah tirona said…
ive never tried ever bilena but thanks for the tip! theyre so affordable, i should check it out. :)
sarah tirona said…
try something darker like the nars and rimmel, doesn't wash me out :)
Balot said…
Hi Sarah, I nominated you too for The Versatile Bloggers Award.
Please check my nomination
http://balotschatter.blogspot.com/2015/02/nominated-for-versatile-blogger-award.html
BelleB said…
yes sis. 99 nga lang dati now i think nasa 145-165 na sya.. still faily affordable.. lalo na sa budget conscious like me..
Ayi Dela Cruz said…
I only use Russian Red from MAC ever since. I tried other lipstick brands and shades, thanks to my mom but I still prefer the one from Mac. These are really good shades to try too :)
mama speaks said…
I have long been searching for the perfect everyday lipstick for myself. Love your recommendations. Will check these out
super ganda ng bobbi brown na shade. ♥♥♥
Wow! Thank you for sharing! Just like other moms out there, I love lipsticks. I used to wear brownish-pinkish shade for like forever. Then one day I became more adventurous, I tried the ruby red of Mac (it was a gift from my sister) and it still flatters my lips. I am so loving it. :)
sarah tirona said…
mac's ruby red is a beautiful color, just a bit wary of its high lead content pero cant resist hahaha :P
sarah tirona said…
yea, new favorite ko sya, long-wearing din :)
sarah tirona said…
thank you! glad you liked it :)
sarah tirona said…
russian red is super flattering nga, just have a hard time wearing red during the day :P
Thanks for the tips Sarah! I don't use lipstick kasi and I'm intimidated by pink or red lippies. Will start with something that matches my lips!
Really? Didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up! :)
sarah tirona said…
yea, mac has high lead content :(
sarah tirona said…
yay!!!!! :) this is super easy to wear just baby step away from gloss :)
Nicole said…
This is really helpful, I'm a noob at choosing makeup. I have this mauve lipstick though that is close to your picks, but it makes my lips look dry, that's what I get for settling with a cheap brand. Perhaps I'll try buying the one from Happy Skin this time!
sarah tirona said…
you get what you pay for talaga, the happy skin is a very good affordable choice :)