Unispired and Out Of Place at 32



all photos from Advanced Style

When I was in my teens and 20s, I never really cared about what other people thought and what their impression of me might be. I did whatever I wanted, dressed however I wanted with only one thing on my mind, pleasing myself. If I wanted to look like a hippie one day, a rockstar the next and a chic heroin addict the next night, I'd dress the part and not give a second thought about it. Fashion and dressing up was always about self expression and I could get away with it then since I was at my prime.

After giving birth to my daughter and hitting my 30s, I was thrusted into the "real responsible adult world". All of a sudden I was placed in a position to be a role model not just for anyone but for my own daughter. A lifestyle check was in place as well as an attitude check. Apprehension took the place of spontaneity. 

For the past few years, appropriateness and acceptance always took the lead against self-expression. And I hate it, I hate it sooo much. I have the Peter Pan syndrome and dealing with age is extremely difficult for me. Advancing in life has brought on more insecurities than ever before. The fast life has finally caught up with me. My body is changing, wrinkles are begininng to appear, hangovers are always present despite having only 4 beers, a variety of sicknesses start to plague you requiring at least once a year visits to the doctor (which I also despise), clothes that used to look good on my body don't anymore, and a myriad of other reasons to make you start screaming and head for the hills.

Pushing 33 this year, I am way older than most of the other bloggers in my niche. Looking at their posts make me miss being young, free and wild. It also sometimes makes me question what I am doing. If I put on an outfit that resembles something a teen or a 20 year old would wear, I sometimes take it off and choose something more "mom/age appropriate". This can get really stifling at times because I was never really used to this behavior and this morning I woke up, read this, saw this and realized that I don't have to do it anymore.

Yes, I am a mom but  that doesn't entirely define who I am. That is only part of the wonderful package I come in. 

Looking at the photos of all these wonderful women above give me the inspiration and courage I need to slowly come to terms to with my age and everything else that comes along with it. Being old doesn't have to mean letting yourself go. Life is too short to care about what other people think and dictate.

And although I still find it challenging, this is a first step into accepting who I am becoming and what my purpose is...to inspire other women who feel the same as I do. To be brave enough to show the world how I feel on a daily basis without giving a fuck. Because at the end of the day, we are all only human.

Comments

teritee said…
i am a 47 year old mom & yes, i follow your blog every now & then. i dress up younger than my age group does & i don't care because i can still rock it. studs & black, floral blazers & shorts, neons or leopard skinnies always with my piled on accessories. depending on my mood. peers always say they envy me because they can't do it. but this is what defines me. and like the pics you posted of these gloriously garbed maure women, i tell everyone when i am a grammy i'll still be rockin' my outfits, naka wheelchair but in my boots & piled on bracelets & necklaces. BUT i keep it within bounds because i still have a responsibility towards my hubby & daughter to dress appropriately. and they've never told me off, my daughter ne ver berated me for embarrassing her. in fact, she always says she's proud of her "hip & hot" momma. so i kinda don't care either about what the others think (especially those with disapproving stares which doesn't naman occur often) basta i know it's still within the parameters of my age & decency. :)
krissy ♥ said…
Very inspiring post :) Thanks Sarah ♥
MJC said…
Love this post! Ü
Chyrel Gomez said…
Really love your honesty in this post and to be honest. When I first met you last year, your outfit and meeting you reminded me of Blake Lively. You don't even look old and I told you, para kalang college graduate.

You are beautiful, Sarah Tirona. Whatever clothes you wear. =)
Arra said…
this is the true definition of living life to its fullest :)
J. said…
I LOVE (and appreciate) THIS POST!
I stand a little further down the age road than you (a big milestone bday coming up next month...BIG) but I understand where you come from...just be you...it's for the best!
A N A G O N said…
ikaw pa naman yun kilala ko talagang doesnt give a fuck type of person, kaya ko din sinabi sayo nun party na hindi ako magwawala ng ganun kung hindi ikaw kasama ko, coz youll tell me "ganyan din ako!" pag nakatapon nako ng beer, or "dont give a fuck!" pag nahihiya ako mag sing sa stage :) Anyway, sorry derailed na sa topic! hehe! :) Basta to not caring what others will think! :D
Unknown said…
Love this article.

I think about that too sometimes--we don't have to be defined by just one persona and we don't need to be.
Wonder Woman said…
Amen! LOVE this post!

http://wonderwomanrises.blogspot.com
Merri Chan said…
love the photos of these hip ladies. They're smarter, more well-established and more confident than their younger counterparts with more experiences under their belt...

I want to be exactly like them when I grow older
Merri Chan said…
just to add...I hope I'm as stylish as them when I'm in my 50's :))
Unknown said…
Can i just say you have just voiced out my thoughts on this, Sarah. I totally feel and think the same way as you do. Im turning 34 this Nov and i got 4 kids but i will never give up dressing up. 90's grunge and hippie will always be cool with whatever age and body type you have as long as you know how to carry it. :)
Unknown said…
Can i just say you have voiced out my thoughts, Sarah. I totally feel the same way as you do. Im turning 34 this Nov and i already have four kids. My body is not the same as it used to be though a lot of people i know always tell me that i dont look like i have kids. I will never give up dressing up. I have been dressing up for forever and i dont get tired of doing that. It makes me happy. And thats whats important. I just love you for this article. :)