DIY Dip Dye Ombre Shorts Tutorial

I went on a DIY rampage a couple of days ago and this was one of the projects I did.

Nothing quite spells summer as perfectly as a dipped dyed pair of denim shorts. It is one of the easiest and cheapest DIYs ever. Anyone can do it and its takes very little to time to accomplish. Here's how:


Pair your dipped dyed denim with neons for an effortlessly chic look. (another DIY is the hat, will share steps in a different post)

What You'll Need:

  1. Pail
  2. Bleach
  3. Hanger
  4. Old pair of shorts/pants




(my DIY arsenal for the day)

How To:
  • Cut shorts/pants to desired length. Standard is about 2 inches from the inseam. Cut starting from the inseam outwards. Shorts should be shorter  towards the outside to form a sort of "panty-like" shape. This shape will instantly bring your denim up to date!



  • Eyeball your shorts and determine where you want the dip dye process to begin.
  • In a pail, fill with enough water to hit your shorts at the right mark and minus about an inch because the bleach water solution will run up when your shorts are saturated.
  • Add about 2 cups of bleach to the water (It is important to dilute the bleach in water. Dipping your shorts in full bleach may cause your shorts to rip into pieces when washed)
  • Attach shorts to a hanger like so:



(sorry forgot to take a photo of the shorts but I took a photo of a shirt I dip dyed as well. same process. Clipping your shorts onto a hanger with clothes pins will give them a  more uniformed line finish and will prevent your shorts from slipping completely into the bleach bath)

  • Check every 30 minutes or so until you get the desired lift.
  • Once desired lift is acheived, wash separately. You can add a bit of vinegar to the wash to stop the bleaching process but I'm too lazy to do this so I just wash it normall. Works for me.
And you're done! Easy right? :)

A DIY for Reverse Dip Dye Ombre Shorts in Yummy Colors is coming up soon as well. Watch out for that.

Hope you liked this tutorial. Feel free to email me if you have any other DIY requests.

Will try to announce giveaway winners later.

Thank you for all those who supported me in the Parisian Bloggers Challenge! It was very much appreciated . <3


Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for this post! I'm dying to do a DIY ombre shorts.
Aki No Yuutsu said…
Thanks for sharing... been wanting to try this!!!
The Perpetrator said…
woah very awesome!!! like like love! <3
D said…
Cool! Will definitely try this one...now! Lol
what a perfect diy. i've done the same a week ago and the result was perfect. i love bleeched things :)
kisses
maren anita
Can I invite you to my GIVEAWAY ???:

YSL lipstick & Nelly leather bracelet

FASHION-MEETS-ART by Maren Anita
Hazel said…
ang cool! pwde pala DIY yun! :D
AVA TE-ZABAT♥ said…
i love how creative you are with DIYs, sarah!:)
Suddenly got inspired to do something like this soon! :) Thanks for sharing, Sarah ♥

Arnie
www.arnievillanueva.com
Chyrel Gomez said…
I've been wanting to try this but I am too afraid. I might ask the boy to help me. Thanks for the tips!
Serene said…
Wow! very easy DIY thanks. Will try it. :)