Conscious Fashion, Why TOMS Is The Better Choice

The shoe that started my love affair with TOMS:
This is a pair of Vegan Toms made of recycled materials that I've had for over 2 years now. It is my favorite pair of flats, a shoe you can wear all day without having to worry about blisters, painful soles or stinky feet. I don't know what it is about this pair, but it breathes beautifully.

For the minority that may not have heard of TOMS yet, here's a brief background:


In 2006, American traveler Blake Mycoskie befriended children in a village in Argentina and found they had no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, he created TOMS Shoes, a company that would match every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One.

To date, TOMS has given over one million pairs of new shoes to children through giving partners around the world.


Ever wondered which TOMS style the "One for One" children receive? This is the exact pair, black so they can wear it to school! If I was still in school, I'd get the exact same pair myself! :)

For all the haters out there, I will set the record straight. I have read in numerous sites and forums that some people think that TOMS are a rip-off. Often, I read about complaints regarding how cheap it is to manufacture a pair and that even if you are paying for 2, it is still expensive.

Here are the facts:
  1. For every pair of TOMS you buy, another child in need gets a pair. What you don't know is that this child will be provided with TOMS shoes until she turns 16. That's not just 1 pair for every pair you buy, you know how quickly a child's foot grows, do the math.
  2. I think it takes quite a bit of resources to visit the remote areas that TOMS usually distributes shoes to. Airfare, accomodations and food for volunteers isn't exactly free.
  3. TOMS practices FAIR TRADE. This means that fair wages are given to all that manufacture their shoes and there is no child labor involved.
Given these circumstances, don't you think the price is just right?


Moving on, (this by no means is a paid post, I have the freedom to choose wether or not I want to blog about this.)

Last November 16, we were invited to 2nd's at Bonifacio Global City to witness the Holiday Collection of TOMS.

Sneek-peek of the new collection at the registration table:

Shortly after our arrival, we were ushered into a room by group to watch a few videos that they have prepared for the event:
A couple of the videos documented their shoe distrubution in different areas:

Really a tear-jerker! Especially when they were shown washing numerous dirty, blistered, infected feet of the unfortunate children...

We were all pleasantly surprised to find out that the One for One program has reached the Philippines! So far, TOMS has distributed shoes to Smokey Mountain, Bacolod and several other provinces.

The event was also held to announce the opening of the first TOMS pop-up store in Trinoma! How exciting is that???

Also, they will be having a Give Fair on December 4 at the 4th level of Trinoma.
During this event, you will be able to style your own pair of TOMS! A great time to bond with your kids, create matching pairs! :)

Also, TOMS will be coming out with Ballet Flats....
and eyewear this season! Same with the shoes, the eyewear is also one for one. With every purchase, a pair of eyeglasses or eye surgery will be given to someone in need! The stripes on the arms of the shades indicate which country your choice will benefit.

I want these black wayfarers!


Here's a preview of the new styles available for this season:


Absolutely love these Mother/Daughter, Father/Son matching pairs!!!

Super chic ballet flats!




I want this pair:



This holiday season, give the gift that gives. Get your loved ones a pair of TOMS.


Don't forget to join my 4 ongoing Birthday Giveaways!

Comments

April K said…
Who could ever hate on such a generous company?! I love Toms, don't have a pair yet but they are definitely on my wish list! I had my eye on the pink leapord print Toms!
I'm crazy about TOMS! They're just comfortable that I have a collection of them! I don't feel guilty splurging such amount because you know that a part of it goes to those in need of footwear!
I love the holiday collection, can't wait to purchase some already!

Vanessa

http://thepinkmateproject.blogspot.com/
Unknown said…
I too love Toms! Thanks for sharing!!

www.mythriftychic.com
TOM's has wonderful products and supports a much needed cause. You provided an excellent explanation of the company! i LOVE those black and beige ballet flats. I'm super excited to hear that they will be coming out with ballet flats for 2012. I love them! :)
http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/